I share time. I bring comfort. I get smiles.
The end of life can be overwhelming for individuals with a life-limiting illness and their loved ones. Our hospice volunteers help patients and families enjoy quality of life — rather than focus on quantity of life. We depend on our volunteers for a wide range of care, compassion and support — everything from helping with errands to simply holding a hand. Most of all, our volunteers help our patients live each day fully.
This could very well be the hardest volunteer work you've ever done, but we guarantee it will also be the most rewarding.
Masonicare Home Health & Hospice - Volunteers
Hospice offers trained volunteers to assist with many aspects of patient/family comfort. Hospice volunteer duties may include:
- • Visits with patients or family members
- • Companionship
- • Help with errands
- • Reading & listening to music
- • A friendly presence
- • Walks
- • Respite care
- • Support with grief and loss
- • Gifts of song, animal visits and puppetry
- • Spiritual support
- • Expressive arts
- • Clerical support
Hospice volunteers give and receive many benefits:
- • Set their own time limits
- • Help by providing care and compassion
- • Form close ties with patients and families
- • Become the eyes and ears of the hospice team
- • Clerical volunteers help with non-patient directed jobs
- • Receive ongoing training and support
- • Give respite for weary caregivers
- • Give of their special talents and gifts
- • Play a critical role in hospice care
- • Affirms life not just by words, but by their work
- • Enriches their lives by enriching the lives of others
Individuals who choose to become hospice volunteer’s must attend a hospice volunteer training and comply with all necessary paperwork.
- • Direct Care Volunteer
- • Bereavement Volunteer
- • Spiritual Volunteer
- • Clerical support
- • Spirit Song Volunteer
- • Puppetry Volunteer
- • Creature Comforts Volunteer
- • Expressive Art Volunteer
- • Vigil Volunteer
For additional information, or if you would like to become a hospice volunteer, please call 1-800-528-6664 to speak with a hospice volunteer coordinator.
To apply to become a hospice volunteer, please click the link below, print out and complete the application, and return it by mail to Volunteer Services, Masonicare Home Health & Hospice, 111 Founders Plaza, Suite 200, East Hartford, CT 06108